Thursday 4 December 2014

Breast Feeding Battles… Continued.

People always comment on how content of a baby Hudson is.
so quiet and happy all the time. 
must be a second child thing. 

Breast feeding is going well

Or I thought

Until yesterday when we took our 3 month old to his 2 month immunization appointment. 

The nurse informed me that at 8.14, Hudson was a nice big newborn at 90th percentile

But that right now, at 12.3 - he had shifted down to 10th percentile. 

And she was concerned. 

I don't know what it is with these nurses and their ability to make me worry like an insane person, but I left the appointment in tears, thinking that for sure everyone thought I was starving my baby. 

I recalled that Hudson had a doctors appointment 2 weeks earlier and had been weighed, so I called the office to find out what that weight was. 

12.2 pounds. 

Well, that made me worry a little more. I was advised that a baby Hudson's age should be gaining 1 ounce a day. And at one ounce in 15 days, he isn't making the cut.

To say I feel horrible is an understatement. 
Hudson is a happy baby. The happiest! He sleeps well and nurses just fine. And I know I have lots of milk, I'm still pumping frequently to ensure a good supply. 

Could it just be that I have a skinny baby on my hands again? 


I want to stay away from formula for the time being, not that I'm against it, but I make enough milk, and my doctor ensured me that every mother makes the right milk for her baby. No mother makes "skim milk" as I called it when speaking to him a few weeks back. 

I've started tracking Huds feeds to see how long he's nursing for and that he has enough wet diapers. Were going to go in to weigh him again on Saturday to see if he's gained much in the last 5 days, before we call his doctor. 

sigh. 

I was so excited to have a chubby baby!

We will get there, Hud.

xx-r

1 comment:

  1. I truly beleive all this weighing of babies jus causes us breastfeeding mummies to worry unduly. My son dropped from 75th to 25th but he was perfectly healthy and reaching all milestones i couldn't do
    anymore but the health visitors contined to worry me and enocourage supplementing. If yr baby is content and u know u r
    making enough milk surely he must b fine. I guess jus make sure his feeds are long
    enough so that u know he is getting the
    fatty hindmilk. R u on enough calories
    with yr diet I guess that's the only other thing to check.

    ReplyDelete