Saturday 25 May 2013

Why Every Mother Is An Expert.


Having a baby makes every mother an expert.

I watch other people hold my child and I hold my tounge from saying such things as:
 
"He doesn't like it when you hold his head too close, he likes to look around"
"He's going to burp soon, hold him upright!"
"You obviously don't have kids"
"Um... Can I just have him back?"

Since when did I become an expert??

I believe that anyone who has gone through the fear of having a child coming to you is changed.
wether adopted, born naturally or by surgery... When a baby is placed into your arms and you know that it's yours... When the fear that you could lose that child at any moment hits you like a brick the first time you hold them...
 
Suddenly you know everything about them. You take in every detail, the way that they look at you when they are feeding, how many times you need to pat their back before they go to sleep.

You imagine what they could be. A doctor, a teacher, a mom or a dad of their own and you make it your mission to make them the best doctor, or teacher, or mom and dad that they can be. 

Because you know everything about them.

Of course you don't always FEEL like an expert...

By the 7 or 8th time you have put a pacifier back in and your baby is stil fussing, regardless of being fed, changed, burped and sang to in an exhausted whisper... It's hard to feel like you know this little being at all.

But I assure you, eventually every baby falls asleep, and when you get that baby to sleep...

You are an expert.



xx- r

No comments:

Post a Comment