Sunday 29 September 2013

Pumping probs.

On may 20th 2013

I decided to stop attempting to breastfeed

and start pumping exclusively 

My initial goal was 2000 oz.



A goal that seemed completely unattainable with  freezer stash that started with 82 ounces in it

But I kept going

5-6 times a day. 

cleaning bottles every night. 


And tracking every pump to see how much milk I was producing 


and my stash built


eventually, we had to buy a second freezer 
to accommodate the stash



Yesterday....

I did it. 

I hit 2000 ounces!


It was a great day for me. 

and after lots of trials with this process... I honestly didn't know if I would ever get here. 
Overall I have had epic support from my family and friends.
I pumped at party's and wedding and in my car on the side of the road...

I even pumped once while I was driving a long drive (uh..yes...its difficult)

I did a bit of math last night. 

bear with me while I run some numbers...

Easy eats about 30 ounces of milk a day. 

If I stopped right this minute, I would have enough milk to feed Easy for roughly 2 months out of my stash. 

That would put him at 8 months old before he would be out of the good stuff.

The OCD mom in me wants to feed him breastmilk for a year. one.whole.year. I love giving my baby food I made him, I love feeling like I am in control of his success and thriving

But the human-being in me is exhausted. 

Im tired of having cracked, bleeding nipples - of waking up engorged at 5am to pump - Of cleaning 30 bottles/nipples/pumping parts every single day - of dragging my pump anywhere that I will be at for longer than 3 hours - of stressing over not making enough milk.

So I have a bit of thinking to do. 

When I ran some more numbers... I would have to pump until Christmas to get enough for Easton to have until he was one. 

Until I make up my mind... I better go pump...








xx - r



No comments:

Post a Comment