Friday 14 June 2013

.Post-Partum Depression.

With a previous history of depression and anxiety, I was told repeatedly during my pregnancy that I was a prime candidate for post-partum depression.

When I went in for Easy's vaccinations last week, the health nurse sat me down AGAIN and asked me, in several different ways, if I was experiencing post-partum depression.

I have to say, I never had really thought about what exactly that entails... do you feel sad? lethargic? angry? confused? do you ever feel overwhelmed?

Who doesn't feel like that sometimes?

its a confusing thing... and tough to talk about.

but let me say first, I don't think that I have post partum. Depression is something I have battled since I can remember. and im pretty sure im winning the battle.

But

I woke up early the other morning and
 .didnt. .want. .to. .move. 

When Easy got up around 5, I drug out of bed and made him a bottle. I changed his diaper, left him in his sleeper and brought my baby, and a warm bottle back to my bed. 

I proceeded to stay in that bed, only getting up to pump a bottle every few hours, until I had to go pick up T from work that night... oh, about 7pm. Easy and I played in bed, watched movies and napped litterally all day. 

When I picked up T, he asked what was wrong. I was clearly distraught.

I told him through tears that I couldn't get out of bed that day. I didnt do anything on my eccentric to-do list. I hadnt worked out in days and was feeling awful.

I told him I thought I was slipping. it was an all-too familiar feeling. 

.Depression.

"Do you think I have post-partum?"

Then my husband told me something that snapped me back to reality.

"Rach... your allowed to have bad days... even the greatest people in the world have bad days"

I have this perpetual fear of having to go back on anti-depressants. having to go back to a psychiatrist and hearing something I dont want to know. I tie every reaction I have to anything back to mental illness. 

And im working so hard.

I have hobbies. I love taking photos (even if they are just timer photos of myself, Easton or just things around me) I love editing those photos. I like to bake. sing. watch movies... I can do so many things... And for the most part, im okay with people not liking my baking or my selfies or the movies I like. I try not to let things beat me.


But this day beat me. 

What my husband said struck home. 

Yes, that day had beat me... but because I noticed it, I could take it for what it was... 

A bad day. 

Post-partum Depression is real. it is terrifyingly real. And I feel complete empathy with anyone who has to go through it, in whatever form. 

I had family rally around me after the birth of my son. I spend the first 6 weeks of my baby's life with one of my mother's. that saved me. 

I have an EPIC support system. 

I am anti-social. But I have been working my socially anxious butt off trying to be a mom that gets out of the house with my guy. 

I think I will continue to have days that beat me. Actually, I know I will. 

I was blessed with an amazingly patient, quiet baby. I am blessed with a patient, loving husband. 

I will beat my bad days.

xx - r 




4 comments:

  1. I promise you we all have bad days. Usually tied to just plain old exhaustion! The fact you recognize it and dont repeat it day in and out is huge. Pj days once in a while are some of the best mom days. You are doing amazing. I love your blog and all your insights. Keep a good line of communication open with all your supportive family and you will keep on doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your selfies. You're beautiful. And you are doing great mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad days are allowed. I know depression is a hard battle, it's one I fight too. But always try to look for the positive - you may have stayed in bed all day but you still took care of Easton (including pumping which is no easy feat) and that makes you a GREAT mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very happy that I found this website. I want to to thank you for this excellent information!! I absolutely appreciated every bit of it and I have bookmarked your website to see the new stuff you post later on
    ---
    Thasin
    Low Testosterone

    ReplyDelete